Test summary report is a formal document that summarizes the results of all testing efforts for a particular testing cycle of a project / module or a sub module. Generally, test leads or test managers prepare this document at the end of testing cycle. Some test managers prepares it at the end of project.
- All relevant stakeholders of the Project will be able to see the health of AUT (application under test).
- It will help them to take necessary steps proactively, if required.
- It will to justify the testing effort that testing team is putting in the project.
- It will help in building more mature process
- It should be published after every test run cycle
- It should have relevant metrics like Cost of finding a defect in testing, Test Case Adequacy, Test Case Effectiveness, Test Efficiency, Effort Variance, Schedule Variance, Schedule Slippage, Rework Effort Ratio, Review Effort Ratio, Weighted Defect Density
- Mention all testing activities
- All reports should be maintained in a document repository system
- Name of project
- Release No.
- Reference documents: <Reference can be given of test planning document or test strategy document or project plan>
- Target Audience: <Who all will be the recipients of this report>
- Test Cycle:
Testing Type / Level: <Mention testing type / level like unit testing or system testing or integration testing or it may be a functional testing or performance testing etc>
Test Suite Data:
- Number of test suites planned.
- No of test suites executed
- No of test suites could not be executed <Categorize it in two types: Due to some show stopper or due to some other reasons>
Test Case Data:
- Number of test cases planned.
- Number and percentage of test cases implemented.
- Number and percentage of test cases executed.
- Number and percentage of test cases passed.
- Number and percentage of test cases failed (total and by severity).
- Total open bugs
- New bugs found
- Open bugs of previous release
- Reopened bugs
- Bugs marked as "Not a Bug"
- Bugs marked as "Deferred"
Risks / open issues / support required: <Mention here all potential risks and current open issues with assignment of action items to specific stakeholder. Mention the details of support required, if any.>
Deviations from signed off test plan: <if any>
- Testing team details.
- Testing dates
- Test team locations (if working from different remote locations)
- Traceability matrix can also be attached in test summary report
- Mention the test tracking tool used, test results location etc.