Below are some usefull tips and general guidelines will help you become more efficient while using SiteCheck:
1. Is your Web server getting full? Click List View Defects Orphans to see all files that have no links to them. Delete those orphans you don’t need.
2. Can you remember the title of the document you are looking for but not the file name? Use List View to find the file by title and then view its other attributes, like the file name.
3. Use the toolbar filter buttons in Page View to reduce file clutter and help you better understand the structure of your Web site.
4. Rational SiteCheck automatically fixes links when you move files. All files and their respective links are maintained during this process. When working on local sites, you can drag files from one directory to another and the links to those files are preserved.
5. Source View offers you enhanced text editing, including color-coded text and a link-sensitive right-click menu. You can make on-the-fly updates to your HTML documents from Source View.
6. Rational SiteCheck can check all your links: the internal links within your site and external links to other Web sites.
7. Is it safe to delete a file? Select the document in Page View and you’ll see all links to and from the file.
8. LinkWizard instantly recognizes when a file operation will affect links and can fix them automatically.
9. Rational SiteCheck saves you time by providing customizable e-mail templates that automatically create messages that you send frequently.
10. Check your content before going live. Rational SiteCheck’s list of broken links will show all the documents that need repair.
11. Switch quickly between the views offered by Rational SiteCheck. The function keys F4 and F6 through F10 are shortcuts to all the views.
12. All Rational SiteCheck views stay synchronized as you move through your Web site.
13. In List View, click on a column heading to sort the items by that column. Click again to reverse the sort order.
14. You can rearrange, add, or delete columns to create a custom report in List View. You can then print or export the List View.
15. Use SiteMonitor to automatically check for defects on your Web site.
16. To check the status of external links at any time, you can right-click on an external link and click Check Link or Recheck Link.
17. When a page uses frames and Rational SiteCheck reports a broken link, be sure to check the NOFRAMES section of the frameset page.
18. When Rational SiteCheck reports a broken link to an image map but it looks correct from your browser, be sure to check both the server-side and client-side image maps.
19. With Rational SiteCheck, you can analyze any site that you can visit with your browser, even sites that are managed by other people.
20. Rational SiteCheck fully supports access to sites through your corporate firewall. To specify your firewall settings, click the Proxy Settings button found on the HTTP Options tab of the Preferences dialog box and the HTTP Options dialog box of the Site Settings wizard.
22. Want a quick summary of your Web site statistics? Use the Site Properties View to get an overview of your Web site, including the total number of pages, the total size, and the number of broken links.
23. Want to speed up your load time for large sites? Switch to Site Properties View to increase performance.
24. Do you have a multiserver domain? Rational SiteCheck offers full multiserver support. Click the Servers button in the General dialog box of the Site Settings wizard, and enter the server path. Use wildcard characters (*) to enter a group of related sites.
25. You can save your site at any time. This creates a “site map” that provides a “snapshot” of your site structure at the time of the save. This operation does not save changes or updates to actual Web files.
26. All external links that do not refer to a specific HTML file are displayed in Page View and List View using the “default page name” for the file name. This does not affect any functionality. Actual HTTP requests for this link do not include the default page name.
27. When you move HTML page files, you can choose to leave bookmarks. Bookmarks do not apply to other file types.
28. Rational SiteMonitor is a site-management tool that comes with Rational SiteCheck. With SiteMonitor, you can automatically schedule scans of any site, at any time. You can use SiteMonitor to scan your complete site for defects, check your site to make sure it is reachable, compare two Web sites for differences, or compare your site against a previously saved site map to look for changes.
29. Assertions let you to set your own test conditions. You can check for the presence or absence of display text, HTML tags, links, Java applets, ActiveX controls and other features. With assertions, you can enforce coding standards and verify that corporate standards, like meta tag content, logos and legal notices, are used consistently on your Web site.
30. You can exclude portions of a site from a scan. When opening your site, click the Exclude button on the General dialog box of the Site Settings wizard, and enter the directories you do not want to scan.
31. You can scan to a given number of levels. Simply enter the number of levels in the scan settings when opening your site.
32. You use realms to access password-protected areas of a site and you can enter multiple user names and passwords for each realm.
33. HTML reports let you view summary and detailed data about any site you load. You can generate reports detailing broken links, pages with broken links, failed assertions, slow pages, permanently moved pages, orphan pages, and files with viruses. The reporting utility creates an executive summary of the data as well as a detailed breakdown of all defects. Because the report is loaded directly into your browser, you can move directly to defective files by clicking the link.
34. When saving reports, select a dedicated directory. If you are analyzing a large site, you may end up with a large number of files.
- 5 Best API Documentation Tools: A Guide for Developer Success - September 21, 2023
- Top 5 Test Data Management Tools : Improve Software Efficiency - September 21, 2023
- Best Code Review Tools 2023: Compare & Choose Your Ideal Solution - September 21, 2023