The steps in defect life cycle varies from company to company. But the basic flow remains the same. However, below I’m describing a basic flow for Bug Life Cycle:
- A Tester finds a bug. Status –> Open
- Test lead review the bug and authoriza the bug. Stats –> Open
- Development team lead review the defect. Stats –> Open
- The defect can be authorized or unauthorized by the development team. (Here the status of the defect / bug will be Open (For Authorized Defects) & Reject (For Unauthorized Defects).
- Now, the authorized bugs will get fixed or deferred by the development team. Status of the fixed bugs will be Fixed & Status will be Deferred for the bugs which got Deferred.
- The Fixed bugs will be again re-tested by the testing team (Here based on the Closure of the Bug, the status will be made as Closed or if the bug still remains, it will be re-raised and status will be Re-opened.
The above-mentioned cycle continues until all the bugs / defects gets fixed in the application.
Also see related posts:
- Software Testing Bug Report
- Software Testing Bug Report Template
- Find more bugs while doing Software Testing
- Test Director
Rahnuma is a technical content writer at software testing stuff. A software engineer by degree and a dynamic content creator by passion, she brings to table over 3 years of writing experience in tech niche. Combining her enthusiasm for writing and technology, she loves to share her thoughts on the latest tech trends.